So we started with the dying of the eggs. As usual, I started out doing it and Steve took over. No biggie. The guy pretends he doesn't like doing this "family" kind of stuff and then gets all into it. Have I mentioned that Steve's a perfectionist? Better to let him do his thing. Allyson and I went and played in the backyard. Anyways...here was the process.
1. Bowl of beautifully hard boiled eggs (HA! More on this later)
2. Six glasses of dye tablets, three teaspoons vinegar and 1/2 cup water. We wanted the eggs extra dark colors.
3. Eggs left to dry.

4. Final products. Aren't they great?
So that was Saturday. Here are some pics from our Easter Sunday at my in-laws house. Thankfully my parents and Steve's parents get along famously so we get to spend a lot holidays together. I realize how blessed we really are.
This one is of my mother-in-law and Allyson. Allyson - always in mid "sentence."

Now my mom and Allyson. I think my mom just said "you jump in that pool and make me go in after you and you're in big trouble little girl." Haha...my mom adores Chickie. Of course - how could you not? Wait til you see the shot after this one.


I should probably mention that I volunteered to make the deviled eggs. Ya...won't be doing that again. I swear I followed the directions in my Better Homes & Gardens cookbook but they were awful! The shells wouldn't come off the whites. There were tiny cracks the dye seeped through. Take a look at the awfulness.


So that was the Carroll family Easter. I would have posted the video of Allyson going egg hunting but I can't find the USB to hook the video camera up to the computer. Maybe I can get that uploaded another time. It's pretty cute.
See ya on the flip side.
~B
1 comment:
Looks like a fun day. And yes, Deviled Eggs are a pain the ass to make. So messy. But I do have a tip to offer you in case you ever decide to try them again. It's all in boiling the eggs. I have tried a lot of things over the years and this is what I've come up with ...
I put water in the. Add the eggs. Then turn the water on. That way you aren't dropping the eggs into boiling hot water and letting them hit the bottom of the pan. As the water is warm (in between tap and boiling) I salt generously. This will help you when it comes time to remove shells. Then, depending on time, I do one of two things. Option ONE is the quicker way: I boil hard for exactly SEVEN MINUTES. As soon as they start boiling, I set that timer. And when it goes off, I pull the eggs out, drain the hot water, and rinse them for several minutes with cold water. Then as soon as I can get them cool enough to handle, I peel them. If you let the eggs cool on their own, your yolks will continue to cook, and I like mine right at the seven minute mark. Plus, they're still warm, making them easier to peel.
Now for option TWO which I always use if time allows: Water. Eggs. Heat. Salt generously. Then as soon as the water starts to boil, turn the burner off but leave the pot on the burner. Cover. Let stand for exactly one hour. Drain hot water. Rinse cold water. Peel as soon as you can get them cool enough to handle.
Also, it might be worth doing them in batches so you don't have so many in one pot. Not sure how much of a difference that would make.
Good luck!
Post a Comment