21 May 2009

Girlfriends...

I’ve never really been a girl’s girl. I had one really good childhood friend. She lived next door and made it pretty convenient to be her friend. We were inseparable for about the first 10 years of our lives. It got tough the further along we got in school because I was a grade ahead of her. After that I’ve just flitted through life with a few girl friends here and there. But very few that have actually stuck.

High school was okay. I met my best friend in high school but we’re closer now than we were then. I had one friend that I would have thought would have been a “lifer” but we had a falling out a few (wow, actually about seven) years ago and haven’t spoken since. That disaster makes me sad to think back upon – but life’s what happens…

Until I got to my twenties. Yeah – my twenties. And even then I bounced back and forth between life in the Bay Area and life away at school in Arizona until I finally settled up here in Sacramento. There were some rough roads along that path and I’ve been lucky enough to have some friends that have weathered the drama that was “the other Becky.”

But I realized the other day that it’s not really about the number of friends you have or how long you’ve known them. It’s about realizing that you have those people in your life that you may not talk to every day but that you know would drop everything if you needed them too. It’s knowing that there are some people that come into your life and make such an impression that they stick around. You may not see them every day (or even once a month) but when you think “I wonder what she’s doing today” you can pick up the phone (or send a text or a facebook message - God love the 21st century) and pick up right where you left off.


So – I send an electronic HUG to all my girls. From my best friend and partner in crime to the girlies I see yearly and all those in between - I love you and I thank goodness I can call you a real friend.

Enough sappy sap from me. (I’ll blame the sappiness on motherhood.)

~Becky

3 comments:

Lindsay Teague Moreno | 5ive Photo said...

awww...I love becky! Both "other becky" and this becky! I'm glad to be able to call you my girlfriend!

Loves.

Melissa said...

Awwww, ok, so you may not normally sappy, but I am, and you being sappy makes me even more so!I love you....and don't know what I would do without you in my life. Thank you for being my best friend!

Anonymous said...

we were just talking about this the other night!!! miss ya
xoxo
val