Don’t get me wrong. We adore our daughter. She’s a good girl – so good a girl that we take her everywhere (insert awesome-child Mom brag here). She eats at restaurants happily. She shops with us. She loves being in a stroller or shopping cart or walking along side us. We have yet to have any “that is not my child” moments (remember she’s not quite two yet – I know I’m jinxing myself). But taking her everywhere means not being without her.
And then there’s the working Mom guilt. That evil and nasty bitch. (That’s another blog post in and of itself.) I hear it – in my head. “You’re not with Allyson thirty-six hours a week. How dare you take an evening off away from her? What kind of a mother are you?” I’ll tell you what kind. One that needs to keep the spark alive in a marriage that created the little darling in the first place. As my parents have shown me, kids will only be around for a portion of the marriage. If you want to stay in love and remember the reason you got married in the first place it is imperative that you focus on the relationship as well as the child rearing. (And I listen to them. They’ve been married for thirty-two years.) Time away means relighting the spark. And let me tell you – we’ve got some spark!
Saturday night, we succeeded. I went to dinner and a movie with my handsome husband and two very good friends. A double date – who would have thought we’d have so much fun? We had dinner at Paul Martin’s in Roseville, a pricy but excellent restaurant. Halibut for me, Brick Chicken for Steve – YUM!

And then we went to see “The Blind Side” which is the best movie I have seen in years.
It was everything you could ask for: a great storyline, great acting. I’d watch it again in a heartbeat (which is odd for me cause I’m typically a “watch it once and give it away” girl) and will recommend it to everyone I know. Hope you get a chance to go out on a date night with your hunny and see this movie. It was a perfect ingredient to a wonderful night.So – what have I learned?
- I’ve learned that you can’t wait four months between date nights with your husband.
- That it’s okay to let your kiddo spend the night at Gramma and Papa’s house (cause they love it as much as she does).
- That you shouldn’t wait five years to go on a double date with good friends. (G – this time we made it through without food poisoning!)
- And that you should take the time to focus on your marriage. Better to focus on it now than watch it slip past you. Steve – I love you more today than I did four years, two months and six days ago.
No comments:
Post a Comment