30 October 2013

Well Hello There. It's Been Awhile

I really didn't think I’d believe. When a friend posted about how these voodoo-hippie oils were working for her and her family I rolled my eyes. When she started losing weight by taking capsules full of the hippie stuff, I didn't believe either (but I tried it – more on that later.) When I started diffusing an oil here or there to help with my anxiety and stress levels I chalked it up to the placebo effect (cause they totally work). But believe? Nope. 

Enter cold and flu season. Sunday afternoon Andrew came down with the sneezes, watery eyes, runny nose and mini-cough. My little guy, who has had some nasty respiratory issues in the past, always worries me a little more when he comes down with something. I texted Lindsay. “Alright sister, what do I use on Andrew?” Her response: “Purification on the throat, RC on the chest, Thieves on his feet covered with socks. And get Thieves in that diffuser.” So I did it. What did I have to lose? The last thing I wanted was a midnight wake-up call from a croupy kid that can’t breathe. Why take out the inhaler and Tylenol Cold & Sinus when I might not have to?

Monday morning – Andrew’s bright eyed and bushy-tailed. No remnants of that sicky stuff. Awesome!

Monday afternoon – Allyson comes home from school all watery eyes and runny nose. I started the diffuser right away – was planning on that anyway because of Andrew. I also made her a cup of tea, added a drop of Thieves. She loved it.

The night went on. She was still miserable. At PJ time I did the same thing I did to Andrew. Purification on her throat, RC on her chest and Thieves on her cute little feet. She loved having me massage her. A little mommy TLC goes a long way to helping kiddos feel better.

Tuesday morning – Allyson comes running out of her room. “Mom! I feel SO much better!” A quick Andrew check confirms that he’s still golden too.

So – I still really don’t know what to believe. I know others in our circle who are battling a nasty cold that has kept their kids down for more than a few days. Did my kids just have a quick 24 hour thing? Did the oils work to alleviate their symptoms and prevent them from getting worse? Is it magic or mumbo-jumbo? Is it the placebo affect? At this point, it doesn't really matter to me. I’ll keep It up. These oils are a heck of a lot cheaper, and better for my family, than anything I can buy off a drugstore shelf. I’m now wondering where else I can use these bad boys.




Take it or leave it, but I had to share my experience. It’s only weird if it doesn't work, right?

~Becky

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have peppermint and lavender in my bathroom. Peppermint clams the skin. Just use a little mixed in with moisturizer or you will burn your face off. Lavender is so calming to mix in the bath. I have others too...picked 'em up at a hair show once, I just have no idea what to do with them. Now you have revived my curiosity.

But if someone suggests that nasty patchouli oil, run the other direction! That stuff wreaks!!!

I am happy that the kiddos are feeling better! ;)

(((hugs)))
~g