Today you are eighteen months old. You came into our lives, originally
by complete surprise, a year and a half ago and changed it for the better. I love everything about you, Little Man. I
love your big brown eyes, your long lashes, your chubby cheeks and your
handsomely devilish grin. I love your chubby feet and your strong hands. Here’s
a sneak peek into what makes YOU YOU
right now in your life.
You usually wake up around 7:00 AM. Some days you wake up happy and
refreshed. Other days you cannot wait until someone comes in to rescue you from
your crib. When we walk in to find all your loveys, binkies and blankets on the
floor (because you have chucked them out of your crib) we know you’re ready to
get up. You are such a good sleeper it makes sense that you want out. You know
when sleep time is and when you’re done you know it’s time to play!
You are happiest with a belly full of milk right when you wake up.
Breakfast can come a bit later, but milk is what you want first thing in the
morning. You play and toddle around then house (on the days we get to stay
home) or get dressed and heads off to daycare on the days when Mommy and Daddy
have to work.
Right now you’re still taking two naps.
You like to think that you only need one, but around 11:00 you start
getting cranky and need a little ½ hour to hour snooze to freshen you up. When
the Whiny Man comes out, we know it’s time for you to take a little rest.
After having battled a double ear infection and pneumonia, you are
finally healthy. You DID NOT enjoy your last round of antibiotics, but Daddy
and I knew that you needed them to make sure that you stayed healthy. You have,
by far more than your sister, scared me when it comes to your health. You have
battled RSV and now asthma. Colds hit you so hard and your little body just
can’t keep up. It breaks my heart to see you unwell, but know, my Little Man,
that your Daddy and I do everything we can, including extra cuddles and kisses,
to make you better again.
You usually hammer your lunch. Since your recent sicknesses, your
appetite has returned. You eat pretty much whatever we put in front of you and
let us know you’re done by throwing anything leftover onto the floor for the
dogs. We’re struggling with scolding you because you don’t seem to really “get
it.” The big smile on your face and adorable giggle melts both of us and it’s
hard to stay mad at that.
I’ll admit I’m a bit concerned that you’re not talking much. You point
and laugh. You can follow simple instructions and you can even put together
puzzles! But no words yet. I think you’ll probably just start talking one day
and then we won’t be able to get you to shut up, but for now you’re just taking
it all in and staying silent (except for the occasional “dee!”) I’ll ask the doc
next week when we go for your check-up, but I’m sure she’ll just tell me to
relax and that you’ll talk in your own time. Fingers crossed on this one.
People constantly comment about how good you are. You smile when people
talk to you, you sit still when you’re supposed to and you just exude
happiness. When your Daddy took you for a haircut last weekend, Hunter (your
barber) said that you’re a better client than most of his adults. You sat still
while he spiffed you up and looked SO cute once you were done. My Little Man –
such a gentleman!
All in all, kid, you’re just plain wonderful. You fill our lives, and
look so stinkin’ cute doing it. You melt my heart when you rest your head on my
shoulders, you drive me crazy when you whine for me to hold when I’m “just
trying to get one more thing done” and bring me such pure joy to hear your
belly giggle and watch you clap your hands in delight. You’ll change the world
for the better, Andrew Lane. I’m just happy that, for now, I get to call you
mine.
Love,
Mom

No comments:
Post a Comment