Should I get an eBook reader? I’ve been contemplating purchasing one for about a year now and I continue to struggle with it. It’s definitely a want versus a need, but this girl likes her techie gadgets (read: closet geek). I love to read, have a book in my purse or briefcase most of the time (usually one in both) and I thought that getting one of these new eBook readers might be something right up my alley.
I have a couple of reservations and I’d be interested to hear feedback from people who may have been in this boat or have actually purchased one.
- I worry that I’ll miss the turning of the pages. The smell of a brand new hardcover, the crack of the spine when I first open it. Granted, buying an eBook reader doesn’t mean that I’ll never purchase a paper book again, but when you drop hundreds of dollars on one, my husband would probably be a bit P.O’d if I went out and paid full price rather than the cheaper eBook price.
- I love to lend (and receive lent) books. There are restrictions with some of these eBook readers that even if I had a friend that had one as well, I might not be able to lend the books out. Granted, I’m sure publishers are none too thrilled with the lending book idea, but I get through a lot of great novels that way.
- I stare at a computer screen all day. Is the last thing I want to do is come home and stare at another screen? These readers are not backlit so they’re very different than my computer screen, but it’s still an electronic screen. Between work, Blackberry and TV at home I think my eyes might fall out of my head.
I’ve only physically held the Barnes & Noble Nook. It was pretty cool. I like the size – can shove it in my purse and have a book always. Here are a few cool features of the Nook:
- Ability to purchase content via WiFi and AT&T 3G wireless connections from any location in the US.
- Ability to lend ebooks to others for 14 days.
- Ability to checkout and read local library ebooks for free.
- Ability to browse full ebook content while connected in Barnes & Noble stores.
Then there’s the Amazon Kindle. Cool features:
- Been around longer than the Nook – i.e. the kinks have been worked out.
- Longer battery life than the Nook.
- Free book samples.

And the Sony Reader. Not really one of my top two – maybe not even worth the research to find out what’s good about it. Totally my prerogative.
I think I’m partial to the Nook, but that could just be because I’ve actually held it (and I’m a card carrying B&N member). I don’t know anyone with a Kindle and would appreciate any feedback from those who enjoy it. Hmm….what to choose? What to choose?
Or….do I hold off and wait for the next generation of eBook readers? Am I really sure I even want one? ARG! I’ve got a birthday and Mother’s Day this weekend and Steve is anxious to hear what I want. Maybe I’ll just say “screw it” and ask for jewelry….
~Becky
2 comments:
I say just go for the iPad! :) I of course am a full on GEEK so that's the one that I want with it's other capabilities (music, movies, wifi, 3g, etc). But I do like the Nook too! I think you'd really benefit from an ereader with the amount of books you read and the sheer speed at which you do so. You're my hero! :)
L
I borrowed my friends Kindle for a week and I loved it! I am actually thinking about getting the iPad in order to take advantage of the book plus the possibility for movies/distractions for the babies later on! Let us know what you do!
Post a Comment