23 October 2008

I am not a runner...

So I did something rather unlike myself this morning. Something I never thought I'd ever do and may never do again. I got up and dressed at 6am (Allyson was still sleeping and Steve was getting in the shower) and went for a run. Well...let me detail this statement a little better.

Firstly - my heart does not usually start beating until around 9. And 6am at this time of year is PITCH BLACK outside! What on earth? Did I mention that I don't live in the best neighborhood? I actually thought to myself "criminals aren't awake at 6am are they? I'm better off being out here now than running at 8pm, right?" When a breeze hit the bush on the street I was running on I about jumped out of my skin.

Secondly - with a rack like mine, running has never really been an option for me. And a breastfeeding rack is even more cumbersome. This morning I put on a "full-figure" bra AND a sports bra. Worked out okay surprisingly. I managed to make it back home without any black eyes.

Thirdly - what I did this morning was not really running. Sure, I started out pretty good but after about, oh, two and half minutes I had to slow to a walk. I had determined my route as I was getting dressed. Nothing too far...this was my first shot out. I tried the run for a little while, walk for a little while method. Then I tried the jog for a little while and walk for a little while method.

So...I got home after my "run" this morning and discovered that I had only been gone 10 minutes. 10 minutes?!?! I thought my lungs were going to burst. Yes - I know I'm out of shape. We won't talk about the extra 10 that are hanging on after Allyson's arrival. But 10 minutes? Okay - my goal tomorrow is 20. Maybe I'll sleep in and take Allyson for a jog in the stroller. :-) Who knows if I'll ever see 6am in my tennis shoes again. I'd like to think so but I really need to go buy that mace.

~Becky

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hahahaha....since when did all of you fools decide to take up running....1st Ginne, and now you!!!!! Help, I am the Lone Ranger! Runner, I never will be....but I am thinking about brining it back 90's style and breaking out the roller blades....you with me????

Lindsay Teague Moreno | 5ive Photo said...

Dude. 6am? No way Jose! Try later. Good for you for getting out there though!

Linds