11 October 2008

They screw you with the baby stuff...

Did anyone ever say that babies were cheap? I know I heard that once or twice while I was pregnant. Either those people were independently wealthy, they didn't have children or they were delusional. Well...I'm here to tell you that they're not cheap at all. Quite the opposite. Sure...at the beginning they don't cost that much money. Diapers are expensive - yes...but other than that we really didn't have to pay for much. Thanks to three baby showers, incredibly generous family and friends and breastfeeding (i.e. not paying for expensive formula) the reality was that my kid didn't cost that much at first.

Well...enter the ninth month. Time for the kiddo to get her first pair of real shoes. She's standing and cruising along all the furniture. No doubt she'll be walking here before long (scary I know but more on that another time) but this shoe business is ridiculous.

We did what any self respecting parent of a nine month old ready to walk would do. We took our child to Stride Rite. That's what my parents did, that's what Steve's parents did, that's what we were bound to do. With so many choices of shoe out there for your child we chose a plain, sturdy yet flexible pair. She'll probably wear them for max two months but we thought they were perfect. Here's a pic:Here's where the screwing occurs. These shoes were $42! Can you believe that? Holy cow! I couldn't believe it when I went up to the register and got the total. I can't remember the last time I spent $42 on my own shoes. Steve couldn't either - we were floored. Not that my child isn't worth it - but come on! She's going to have to wear these morning, noon and night until she grows out of them.

So if this is just a sign of the future - and I know it is - we've really got to save our pennies. I have to admit that Chickie was freakin' adorable in these little shoes but I'm still a little shell shocked over the price tag. I'll get over it...

~Becky


2 comments:

Lindsay Teague Moreno | 5ive Photo said...

What????? That's it...my girls are not walking...ever! No shoes!

Samara Link said...

$42?!?! Wow. That's crazy. Crazy! I hope her feet grow slowly...

I just said a quiet thank you to my parents for taking all three of us to Stride Rite. : )